The original DHC-3 Otter ceased production in 1967. Since then many of these sturdy bushplanes have had their 600HP Wasp radials swapped out for a more powerful turbo-prop power plant thus improving reliability and performance. Our Turbo Otter features a Pratt and Whitney 750 HP PT6A-34 turbine and is based on the typical Viking or Vazar conversion with included STOL kit. In looks and performance it brings the Otter right up to date.
Turbo Otters like their radial predecessors are used extensively across all types of flights: charters, tourist work, cargo and scheduled service, flying passengers and bulky loads deep into the bush, to airfields that would be impossible for most other aircraft.
Same Character, More capable
The overall gross weight is the same as the radial version, but the lighter weight of the turbo-prop powerplant allows the payload to increase by approximately 400lb. The increased power allows shorter take-offs and landings, greater rate of climb and a higher cruising speed - but be careful: in some situations the PT6 can deliver more power than the airframe can handle safely!
The Turbo Otter can carry payloads up to 2,600 lbs.and has a maximum passenger capacity of 9. Cruise speeds up to 140 kts over a maximum range of about 625 miles.
Land Anywhere, Haul Everything
The workhorse capabilities of the DHC-3T Turbo Otter are able to be put to the test. Three separate configurations have been included for landing gear: Standard wheels, amphibious floats,and straight floats; each model complete with tuned flight dynamics that accurately reflects differences in performance and handling.
The interior can be outfitted for nearly any adventure you'd like, with separate passenger and passenger/cargo combinations. Individual passenger and cargo locations can be loaded/unloaded in the simulator, allowing for the visual emulation of flying to a destination and back again.
The MilViz DHC-3T Turbo Otter features an intricately modeled, true-to-life interior and exterior, with an abundance of fine detail. All gauges, switches and controls feature smooth animation. High resolution textures with lifelike metal effects and realistic weathering create a simulation like no other.
PT6-34: 'By the Book' performance
Engine model = Pratt & Whitney PT6A-34
Engine Power = 750 SHP Flat Rated up to 4000 ft. ISA conditions
Propeller = 3 bladed, constant speed.
Propeller model = Hartzell HC-B3TN-3DY /T10282+4
Accurate & In-Depth
Built on our experience replicating the DHC-2 Beaver and DHC-3 Otter, the MilViz DHC-3T Turbo Otter for XP11 offers a comparable level of systems depth and functionality given the limitations of the XP11 platform. Our goal is to create an immersive, true-to-life experience for any simulator pilot, regardless of experience. Choose to fly the Turbo Otter by the book, or simply jump in and fly, your choice!
Our DHC-3T provides an accurate, realistic recreation of key characteristics and systems functionality. The electrical system is closely simulated, with operable circuit breakers present for key systems. The operation of the flaps, operated much like the Beaver with a selector valve and a hand pump, behaves realistically. And a powered tailwheel system has been custom created for this aircraft with a three way toggle switch that allows switching between powered, free castoring and locked.
And at the very core of this simulation is a carefully tuned flight model that seeks to impart the unique flight qualities of this STOL-capable workhorse, created by an author with DHC-3 experience.
Custom FMOD sound design
The Milviz DHC-3T comes with a scratch built 3D sound environment. By wielding the power of FMOD we have recreated an accurate simulation of the powerful Pratt & Whitney PT6 engine for your listening pleasure. But we didn't stop with the engine... both inside and outside the aircraft there is plenty more to discover!
- Buttery smooth engine starts
- Highly authentic beta range sound effects
- Propeller wash sound effects
- Squealing brakes
- Stall buffeting
- Audible cockpit controls (switches, levers, etc.)
- 3D sound positioning
- Realistic distance attenuation
- Custom weather sound effects
Rain & Ice effects:
Included is an implementation of Saso Kiselkov's rain & ice effects.
- Professionally created & tuned, high fidelity flight model including accurate characteristics specific to the DHC-3T.
- Body Configurations - Standard Wheels, Floats, Amphibious Floats, each with individually tuned flight models. Skis can also be added as a visual option.
- Multiple loadout configurations, with passengers and cargo. Selectable cargo includes an externally mounted canoe!
- Custom electrical system with display of electrical load and operable circuit breakers.
- Unique flap operation which simulates the usage of the manually operated hydraulic pump and selector on the DHC-3T.
- Realistic locked / powered / free-castoring tailwheel simulation
- Flight Dynamics by Alan 'Rush' Shafto of AeroSim Gaming
- Custom menu systems by Cooper LeComp AFM Advanced Flight Modeling
- Custom FMOD sound design by SimAcoustics
- Richly detailed cabin with beautiful high resolution textures and smoothly animated gauges.
- Realistic and fully adjustable cabin and instrument lighting.
- Ability to completely hide yoke and column for ease of access to important switches and controls.
- Professionally created liveries based on or inspired by real world aircraft.
- Available layer-based paintkit for creating your own liveries.
- Detailed & educational flight manual
- Yoke Lock
- Accurately modeled pump operated flaps
- Power Lever with Beta Gate
- Condition Lever with safety guard
- Fuel Transfer Switch