Enhanced Instructor Awareness version 2
We have once again made several incremental improvements to FSFlyingSchool, including new areas requiring the pilot's attention.
Mr Smith, the chief instructor, is looking at each pilot's performance in even greater detail. Here are some of the enhancements:
- Mr Smith has always advised that your flight controls be checked before flights. In addition, he will now expect you to specifically check the free and correct function of your elevator, ailerons and rudder.
- Your instructor will advise you that if your aircraft has been stored for a long time you need to check for damage or obstructions caused by insects and birds.
- In cold weather, Mr Smith will remind you that frost on the wings can prevent the aircraft from becoming airborne.
- Shortly after entering cruise mode, you'll hear comments from Mr Smith on your success or failure in checking your elevator, ailerons and rudder before take off. Let's develop good habits.
- If you're in the kind of aircraft that has a 'run-up' procedure, Mr Smith will point that out and expect it to be done before take off. You'll be hearing from him later if you don't.
- Mr Smith will remind you to fully extend and retract your flaps before take off to check their correct function. You'll hear his feedback on this so let's get it done.
- You'll be reminded, when climbing on warm days, that steep climbs can lead to overheating - so be careful out there.
- Familiar with displaced thresholds? Mr Smith will remind you to land beyond any red lights preceding the runway.
- Even without lights you'll be told to land beyond the displaced threshold. Mr Smith can see it - can you?
- You'll get timely advice about taxiway edge lighting (blue), runway edge and centre line lights (white), red lights marking the far end of the runway and green lights across runway indicating its start.
- And more...!
Get ready to learn about temperature, wet runways, dew point and much more - including interactive crosswind instruction! Look at the features the NEW INCLUDED 'Weather Tutor Pack' adds to FSFlyingSchool for X-Plane 11:
Weather plays a key part in aviation and a thorough knowledge of weather and its effects is an essential part of every pilot's studies. Now your chief instructor Mr Smith can help in X-Plane.
Mr Smith is the man for Weather Tutor
As your chief instructor, he's the one who explains temperature, elevation, dew point, precipitation, crosswind techniques and more!
Interactive weather advice is optional
If you want to hear it, turn on the 'Monitor Weather' option at the Pilots Screen of FSFlyingSchool. You'll hear your instructor describing the current weather and giving instruction and advice on it.
Interactive crosswind advice is optional
If you want to hear it, turn on the 'Monitor Crosswinds' option at the Pilots Screen of FSFlyingSchool. You'll hear crosswind take off and landing instruction right when you need it!
Weather and crosswind tutorial advice is optional
If you want to hear this advice, turn on the 'Weather Tips' option at the Settings Screen of FSFlyingSchool. Chief instructor Mr Smith will give you general instruction on weather and more when you are flying during quieter periods. In order to avoid these tips sounding repetitive, they are chosen randomly so you won't keep hearing the same advice each flight. A great way to learn - and all while cruising along!
Get ready to learn - here are some of the areas Mr Smith will explain to you:
(Note that in addition to weather, the Weather Tutor covers several bonus subjects that are not strictly weather but still essential to safe flight.)
- Effects of temperature-dew point spread
- Considerations when flying in low light
- Considerations when flying in low visibility
- Considerations when flying in the presence of clouds
- Considerations when flying in low temperatures
- Crosswind landing technique
- Crosswind take-off technique
- Crosswind take-off roll aileron use
- Crosswind landing roll aileron use
- Take-off from a high elevation
- Landing at a high elevation
- Take-off at a high temperature
- Landing at a high temperature
- Take-off from a wet grass runway
- Take-off from a dry grass runway
- Landing at a wet grass runway
- Landing at a dry grass runway
- Landing at a wet paved runway
- ...and a lot more!
PRO Pack Included
A powerful collection of add-on features for FSFlyingSchool including interactive VOR navigation instruction! Look at the features the NEW INCLUDED 'PRO Pack' adds to FSFlyingSchool for X-Plane 11:
Interactive Help with VOR Navigation
- Instructor monitors VOR instruments in aircraft.
- Instructor offers detailed advice and tips on how to navigate with VORs.
- Learn about: TO/FROM/OFF flag, Omni Bearing Selector (OBS), Course Deviation Indicator (CDI).
- Get information as you fly, change settings and as the instruments react to your flight path.
- Instructor describes at length the aspects of different elements of VOR navigation as you fly along.
- If you approach and cross a VOR station, instructor describes what to expect instruments to do.
- You'll soon be a VOR navigation PRO!
Enhanced Instructor Awareness - instructor is watching even closer:
- Instructor watches for parking brake set at correct times.
- Advice when coming in too fast for a landing to slow down or go-around.
- Instructor requires throttles to be operated smoothly.
- Advice to slow to a taxi speed soon after landing to clear for next arrival.
- Advice to accelerate promptly when taking off so as not to waste runway.
- Reminders to get going if on runway for excessive time for take off.
- Warning if not heading into wind when on final approach.
- Advice for steering problems on take-off run.
- Reminder to use flaps if appropriate for take off.
- Reminder to disengage autopilot while on the ground.
- Advice not to run throttles high while on ground with parking brake set.
- And more!
- Spoken help on aircraft instruments, switches and controls when they are used during flights.
- Instant spoken help you can use immediately while flying in X-Plane.
- Adds a whole new level of fun and learning to your flights with X-Plane.
- You hear and see help and tips for controls, instruments and switches immediately in flight!
- Help when you use COM radios, NAV radios, autopilot functions like heading hold, speed hold...
- Help when you use altitude hold, spoilers, autobrakes, gear, lights, pitot heat and so much more.
- Use some help up there in the Simulated Skies? Get familiar with those switches, dials, buttons etc.
- Listen and learn as a friendly instructor explains the role of the device you operated.
- Help is given immediately, in real time, with optional text captions so you can read the advice too.
- Once you operate a device, you won't hear the explanation again for a while - avoids repetition.
- Optionally turn off the voice completely and use the text captions for reference during your flights.
- Alternatively, you can turn off the captions and just listen to the voice of the instructor.
- Configure the FSFlyingSchool Instant Help option the way you want it!
Interactive Aviation Help
- During flights, instructor shares detailed aviation knowledge with you.
- Subjects include cockpit instruments, controls, techniques and much more.
- With chief instructor Mr Smith's help you will soon be familiar with:
- Turn technique
- Stall recovery
- Autopilot speed hold
- Autopilot heading hold
- Autopilot altitude hold
- Transponder use and codes
- Fuel pumps
- Carburetor heat
- Decision height ...and dozens more aviation subjects.
- Includes optional text captions so you can read the advice too.
- A great way to learn - and all while cruising along!