The DC-3/C-47 is a fixed-wing propeller-driven airliner. Its great performance - range of approximately 1500 miles and speed of above 200 Miles per Hour, revolutionized air transportation in the 1930's and 1940's. It is a twin-engine all-metal monoplane, capable of operating from short runways at remote places.
It was able to cross the United States, and made transcontinental flights and worldwide flights possible. These characteristics of the DC-3/C-47 are fascinating, and were among the triggers for coming up with the idea of creating the VSKYLABS C-47 Skytrain Flying Performance/Research Lab project for X-Plane, and its follow-up DC-3 projects.
Highly Realistic Handling and Flight Performance DC-3 Simulation: Highly accurate performance and handling simulation of the DC-3. Aircraft performance and handling qualities were designed and tested in a "Research level" approach and went through a validation process of hundreds of flight testing and evaluation, tested and refined by real-world C-47 pilots.
Workhorse for DC-3 pilot skills: Experience authentic flight performance and handling practices (takeoff, landing, single engine operations, flight planning, long range flights). It is a perfect platform to recreate and fly historic routes using authentic performance.
Unique look and feel: There is nothing to hide - the VSKYLABS DC-3/C-47 projects are a mixture of a simplified yet very engaging design.
Compatible with the VSKYLABS 'Test-Pilot': C-47B Skytrain project liveries!
Advanced avionics and autopilot: Fully featured glass cockpit avionics based on the LR G1000 (including the G1000 autopilot), along with complementary analog instrument gauges and navigation displays.
Comprehensive systems: All the relevant systems are being simulated. Here are **some** of the more unique systems:
- Engines/propeller systems - Highly defined PW-1830-92, 14 cylinder engine simulation, designed with fully featured, functioning and authentic DC-3/C-47 propeller feathering system, for highly realistic single engine simulation.
- DC-3 Fire Extinguisher system - including fire indication system. The fire extinguisher control panel is located behind the hinged cover on the cockpit floor, between the pilot/co-pilot seats.
- Damage simulation - engines are sensitive to rapid spool-up (experimental feature). Engine mishandling will result in severe damage to the engine/engine fire. Stressing the airframe will result also in severe damage, following a visual representation of the damages. Blown tires are also being visualized and simulated.
- Landing gears and flaps simulation - are being simulated with a high level of authenticity.
- Advanced glass cockpit and autopilot system - based on the LR G1000.
- Anti-Icing/De-Ice systems - including icing and rain visualization.
- Skis - Animated, incorporated in the flight dynamics model.
- Making use of X-Plane 12 advanced weight and balance system for station based passengers loading.
- Passenger and luggage 3-d visualization.
- Comprehensive FMOD sounds.
- Auto-update based on the SkunkCrafts autoupdater.
- Built-in AviTab compatibility. (AviTab plugin not included).
- Highly responsive VSKYLABS support system (including C-47 / DC-3 operational knowledge and support/assistance).
**EARLY ACCESS VERSION, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING DISCLAIMER**:
The VSKYLABS 'Test-Pilot': DC-3 Airliner product has gone through the entire development cycle alongside X-Plane 12 development. The VSKYLABS 'Test-Pilot': DC-3 Airliner product is still under constant development to allow close proximity and tracking of X-Plane 12 expected beta updates and bug fixes. All future updates and fixes of the The VSKYLABS 'Test-Pilot': DC-3 Airliner product are free.
About the VSKYLABS C47 / DC-3 Suite of Aircraft:
- VSKYLABS 'Test-Pilot': C-47B Skytrain: Highly defined C-47B simulation of the 30's-50's era; authentic WWII era cockpit, powered by PW1830-90C two speed supercharged engines, Astrodome, cargo loading, operational weights of the C-47's and more. Includes two variants - C-47B and XC-47C (float plane).
- VSKYLABS 'Test-Pilot': DC-3 Airliner: (this model) Highly defined DC-3 simulation, a modernized C-47A restoration, with modernized cockpit; 3-display G1000 cockpit, powered by PW1830-92 engines, passengers cabin configuration and loading system.
- VSKYLABS 'Test-Pilot': Tri-Turbo-Three: (Available soon) Highly defined DC-3 turbo-conversion based and inspired by the Conroy Tri-Turbo-Three conversion.