Explore the fascinating and challenging world of precision flight in an electric powered, experimental aircraft. It is a robust, highly equipped, electric powered prototype design which is initially based on the the MIT 'Daedalus 88' (the human powered, record breaking aircraft) design.
The design concept of the VSKYLABS 'Contraventus' prototype is to experiment and research the practical use of electric power coupled with wind energy utilization for 24 hours battery cells charging capabilities. The 'Contraventus' is a concept demonstrator and educational tool for experiencing some of the fascinating aspects of aerodynamics and flight envelope limitations.
The idea of the 'Contraventus' operation is to drain (consume) the operating battery during an initial climb out to ~5,500 feet QNH, and then recharge it completely while performing an ultra shallow glide, utilizing airflow (forward motion of the aircraft and wind milling). In a series of climb outs and charging-descents, the 'Contraventus' can be flown and recharge during day and night time. Its superb design as an efficient sailplane makes these climb-outs to work like climbing steps for reaching its cruise altitude (the 'Contraventus' is not a pressurized aircraft therefore it is limited by the physiological aspects of a human pilot).
Thorough instructions, project evolution and design details are available in the project’s page at the VSKYLABS portal.
- Designed for X-Plane 11.40+ Experimental flight model.
- Full VR compatibility.
- FMOD sounds
- Built-in AviTab compatibility (plugin is not included)
- Educational project for renewable energy concepts exploration
- Rechargeable through the spinning propeller which acts as a wind-turbine when the engine is off
- Speed-brakes (spoilers) equipped for rapid descent and potential management
- Simplified but algorithmic electrical system with recharge and drain indication for power management
- Autopilot included
- GNS530 is included
- Highly responsive support system/forum
- This is a project which is under constant development. All updates are free